Thursday, May 29, 2014

WHAT IF ANNE OF GREEN GABLES WAS A MUSICAL

I like classic books, and I like musicals. What if I put them together to get WHAT IF _______ WAS A MUSICAL. Yeah! This will be awesome!!!

Some things you should know:
1. I really like Gene Kelly/Julie Andrews/Danny Kaye/Dick van Dyke/Bill Cosby, so one of them may be forced into every musical.
2. I really like tap dancing.
3. Although this is not really a dream casting, I may, you know, insert people that are required.
4. I will be using songs from musicals that I know. Feel free to comment alternatives!
5. I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS

Onward. First, Anne is an orphan and red-headed. Little Orphan Annie is an orphaned and red-headed. Annie Oakley is red-headed!! Coincidence? I think not. This should be pretty easy then.

Well, obviously someone has made a musical already. Shnapsies! 
Well, this musical is completely my own, except for the above picture and any others I find.

Synopsis: Peculiar orphan girl Anne Shirley tap dances her way into the hearts of the people of Avonlea. 

The show starts at the orphanage, where Anne is singing "Tomorrow," the day before Mrs. What's-her-face (I don't feel like looking her name up and she's not that important anyway) comes to get her.

 I think I would skip the drive scene, and just have Anne run around Green Gables and sing something like "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here." Mrs. Lynde would be properly horrified and sing the phone song from "The Best Christmas Paegant Ever". Except if they didn't have phones, she would just talk over fences and at Ladies Aid meetings.

That night, in her room Anne would maybe sing a reprise of "Tomorrow"/"Maybe".

That day when Anne hits Gilbert on the head and is humiliated, she could sing "Just You Wait Gilbert Blythe!" Then the rivalry song. "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better!"

Later, Rachel and Marilla could sing all their worries about Anne in "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Anne-girl?"

When Anne goes to Diana's aunt's house, she charms her with "I Could Have Danced All Night!"

Julie Andrews as Miss Stacy singing "Getting to Know You"!!! I think yes!!

When Anne and Gil make up, they would dance/sing "You Wonderful You" or any other non-cheesy love song.

Instead of being good at speaking and reciting, Anne would be good at singing and dancing. It would drive Marilla crazy at first to hear her feet tapping all the time. Anne's show pieces would probably be really showy ones like "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile!" and "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

I think it would end with Anne and Marilla singing a final reprise of "Tomorrow"! After Matthew's death and with the watcher not knowing whether Anne is going to college or not.

That's how I think it would go. What songs would you use?




4 comments:

  1. Hi, Ashley! Mrs. Linda Perham referred me to your blog. She has been a great encouragement to me in my writing, and I was tickled when she told me about you.
    I love the post! And musicals. And old movies. And all those actors mentioned above. I look forward to more of your posts!
    P.S. have you looked into getting a "subscribe by email" button? That's how I follow most blogs since I can't seem to remember anything these days. :) Thanks and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Natalie! Thanks for visiting! I just put the "subscribe by email" button in! Thanks for the suggestion :) Can't wait to get to know you better :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ashley i just love the idea of anne of green failed being a musical.... it sounds so romantic just signing and pancing together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lauren: Thanks! It does sound romantic!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D