Thursday, June 12, 2014

Husband and Wives, erm Wives and Daughters

Sorry about the title, inside joke :D

Anyhoo, I watched Wives and Daughters last week. It was 5 hours, so it took me about 4 days, but it was great. Sometimes, I didn't want to watch it because it was a leeeetle bit boring, but once I started, I was hooked. (It probably didn't help that I was dying to watch Macgyver either ;) I haven't seen a period drama in a few years *gasp* yes, I know (Macgyver is better BTW :D ), but this was a good one.

Probably favorite dress!
Molly Gibson is fast becoming my favorite heroine, but I need to read the book to cement that! She is patient, loving, and loyal, but she is also not afraid to speak her mind. She was rather ugly as a child, but grew into a beautiful young lady. The town gossips really annoyed me. I just can't find those people  enjoyable. And Miss Phoebe and her sister saying that they loved Molly, really? You left a party without a seven year old that you brought, really?!?


I like this bonnet/apron/dress!
And Roger, I think he is my favorite hero, but I need to read the book to find out! At the beginning, I knew that Osborne wouldn't work out because of his name. I mean what kind of couple would Molly and Osborne be?

So glad he shaved his beard!!
I love Molly and Roger together! I would ship it too, but since they are already together, I don't know if that's allowed :D Their love story is so sweet. They start in brother and sister relationship which is really sweet because they're good friends.

This was hilarious!!! And how she kept mentioning it "Well, he gave me a wasps' nest." :D
And then Molly realizes she loves him, but sweet girl that she is, doesn't tell Cynthia. Finally, Roger realizes that he loves her, and after mutual misunderstandings, this happens.


Probably best engagement I've seen!
The beautiful engagement in the rain. Although Molly did sound weird because she kept saying yes with a most peculiar expression on her face. Also it was slightly amusing because they couldn't touch each other, so they just stared across that space. But the watcher was saved from some kissing scenes and it was sweeter that way.

You can never have too many pictures of this scene!!

I did like Molly's father, I just thought he made a few bad decisions (like his wife, not telling his daughter he was remarrying, little things like that ;) He was very loving and protective of Molly though.

I like this dress
Moving on, I didn't really like Hyacinth Claire Gibson or Cynthia, not that I think she's a villain, I just didn't like her. It was interesting how Hyacinth kept saying that she was unselfish as all she can think about is marrying her daughters off (like another poor, nervous lady you know). When Osborne dies, all she can think of is that she is glad he did not marry because he wouldn't be the heir!!! Ugh!!!

Nothing to do with Mrs. Gibson or Cynthia, but somebody PLEASE bring back capes and cloaks!!
Osborne is okay, but he still should have told his dad about his wife!!! The squire is very nice, just a little too rash and hard on his sons, I think. I love this line!
I am so using this!!! 
All in all, I loved this movie. I can't wait to read the book!!

As the movie ends, so ends this post.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the movie! It's seriously soooo good! And I love Molly, Roger... and yes, even Cynthia. :)
    The book is good too, but it doesn't have the ending. Did you know Elizabeth Gaskell never finished it? But I think they did SO well in making an ending. OF COURSE Molly and Roger should end together. :)
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing that she never finished it!!! Is the movie ending the same as the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No... they invented an ending for the movie, because she stopped with the book. So we don't even know if Elizabeth Gaskell intended Molly and Roger to be together!

      Delete
    2. WOW!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! But, I mean, who else would she marry?!?

      Delete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D