Monday, August 11, 2014

Classics Club: Anne of Ingleside

This cover's actually pretty good!
Well, let's get to the point and say that this book was not as great as Anne's House of Dreams, by any stretch of the scope of the imagination. This book is a series of short anecdotes about life at Ingleside with Anne and Gil and their children: Jem, Walter, Di, Nan, Shirley, and Rilla. (Because I was confused, I will enlighten you: Ingleside is the name of their home, not the town.) It's an enjoyable read, but like Island and Windy Poplars, doesn't stand out. The stories about the kids are pretty funny, especially if you've ever spent much time with younger kids.

I really admire Anne as a mom! She never laughs at her children's scrapes or sayings (at least in front of them :) And she always makes them feel important, like my mom does :D 

LMM barely wrote about the scenery!!!!!! Yeah, do I need to go into this again? But she did have a little habit of starting in the middle of the action which left me confused for a bit! It is a good writing advice for exciting stuff, but this stuff wasn't what you would call "exciting".

Meh...
I do like the poppies!
In the beginning of the book, Jem throws a fit that made me groan on the inside "Please tell me you discipline your kids! I can't read a whole book with bratty kids!!" But then you learn that Anne and Gilbert do discipline and spank their kids. The kids disobey sometimes, but they are rarely disrespectful. 

The back of this book mentions the fact that Anne wonders if Gilbert doesn't love her any more as if that fact were a big part of the book. It's not. Basically, that part of the story is the last 5 chapters. Spoiler alert: Gilbert still loves her!!) {That was my sarcastic font}

Anyway, this is an okay book, though it tends to drag near the end..... I enjoyed several of the stories, quite a few of which made me laugh!

P.S. The Classics Club spin number was 17; therefore, I'm reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain.

What are some of the funniest things you've heard little kids say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D