Sunday, August 17, 2014

Classics Club: Rilla of Ingleside

Friday: Starts blog post of Rilla of Ingleside. Realizes that said book is so awesome that said post will be incoherent in imposible to read.
Saturday: Realizes that 3 hours of sleep in 30 hours is not the ideal condition to write a post in.
Sunday: Hopes that words will come. (Preferably in a coherent order)

What's with the baggy, ugly dress?!

Let's start this over!

Anyway, Rilla of Ingleside is the best book in the series!!!! I love it!! LMM did such a good job of bringing WWI to life on the home front. I have never been very interested in WWI, but RoI has certainly helped me view it in a different light! The pain and struggle of Rilla, Susan, and Anne is presented wonderfully! The reader feels alongside them! This book really helped me appreciate all the families who have sacrificed husbands, sons, brothers, and lovers for freedom. It inspired me to continue "keeping faith" and spreading freedom "lest we forget." (I have no idea where that quote came from, but I think it's a song?)


WARNING: This book takes your feelings and rips them apart! There is a 99% chance you will cry as you read this book! LMM has a way of announcing deaths that goes something like this: "Daddy Warbucks sat at the table and cried because Little Orphan Annie just died." Not Annie and Daddy, but you get the picture. BTW, has anyone seen the new Annie movie? Thoughts?)

About the deaths, not the Annie movie!


In the beginning, I didn't think I was going to like the book because Rilla is a vain, spoiled, stuck-up BRAT. But she develops into a strong, unselfish woman. I felt bad for her because she basically lost her teens, but it did help grow her. 

“And two years ago this morning I woke wondering what delightful gift the new day would give me.       These are the two years I thought would be filled with fun."
"Would you exchange them - now - for two years filled with fun "
"No " said Rilla slowly. "I wouldn't. It's strange - isn't it - They have been two terrible years - and yet I have a queer feeling of thankfulness for them - as if they had brought me something very precious in all their pain. I wouldn't want to go back and be the girl I was two years ago not even if I could. Not that I think I've made any wonderful progress - but I'm not quite the selfish frivolous little doll I was then. I suppose I had a soul then Miss Oliver - but I didn't know it. I know it now - and that is worth a great deal - worth all the suffering of the past few years.”

I can really relate to this, because looking back on the past few years of my life, I can see that I've grown. But I would have never picked the way the growing has happened! God certainly is in control!

Which statement leads me to another thing I like about this book: The references to God being in control and more powerful than big guns. God's power is an important fact that sometimes I forget.

In case you haven't noticed, I love, love, love this book. In fact, it is currently my favorite! Only one other book this summer has "spoken" to me like Rilla of Ingleside: A Tale of Two Cities. (Spoken isn't the right word, but you probably realize what I mean) This book is EPIC!! LMM, what a great way to end a great series!


YESSSSS!!!! I finished the Anne series!!!!!
Randomly awesome excited GIF


P.S. School starts tomorrow; therefore, I don't know what my posting habits will be like, but I will return!!!! (I'm gonna be a Junior!! (11th year))

Is there homework?
Yes.
And Algebra 2 with sharp rocks on the bottom?
BRING IT ON

1 comment:

  1. You know, I couldn't agree with you more. This is the best book evah. I've just read it and oh my goodness... it's just too awesome for words. And you are right... I was crying the whole way through it.
    Epicness, people!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D