Friday, September 19, 2014

EPIC BOOK TAG!!!!

Yes, people I know I haven't written a real post in a loooong time, but one is coming. In the mean time, here is probably the most awesomest tag I've seen because its about books!!! Yay!! I found this on Anne's book blog and Naomi's blog, but I think it possibly started on Notebook Sisters (??) Here goes :D

1. Favourite childhood book? Wow, my childhood seems sooo far away now :P Probably American Girl books (until I was like 10 and could literally read them in half an hour :P), The Phantom Tollbooth, The 21 Balloons, the Mandy series (I have my opinions on those though!!), we had these early reader series that I really liked when I was really little. And Snow Treasure!! Every time I read a certain line about the Nazis parachuting in, I get chills! And Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle! Peter Pan!! When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is a great book too! (Yeah, I remembered more as I kept answering questions :D )
2. What are you reading right now? Wives and Daughters, World War II, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and my book report book, which I think is going to be Amish fiction (let's just say I'm not jumping out of my seat :P)
3. What books do you have on request at the library?  A Disney Songbook, but there were 9 requests before me.....

4. Bad book habit? Reading constantly for 2-3 weeks, then not really reading at all for a month. And reading too many books at once. And stopping halfway through a book, not because I didn't like it, but because I don't have time/I found a better book.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? Wow, lots and lots because we went to the largest library in the district a few weeks ago! :D

6. Do you have an e-reader? I have a NOOK because I can read books on there that are rare in print for free :D But I prefer real books. And I have iBooks on my phone, but I hate reading on my phone.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? Several, but I can't read several by the same author because I get them mixed up! One spring break when I was in seventh grade, I read like 7 books at the same time, reading one chapter at a time from each.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? Yes, I read more :D
9. Least favourite book you read this year so far? Probably Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal. But her second book is soooo much better! And I didn't really like The Cloister and the Hearth mostly because of the ending.
10. Favourite book you’ve read this year? Wow! A Tale of Two Cities tied with Rilla of Ingleside because they both really got to my emotions!
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? Not a lot, as in almost never.


12. What is your reading comfort zone? Classics, nonfiction, books people I have similar tastes to have recommended.
13. Can you read in the car? Yes, unless I'm hungry, then I get a headache and my stomach hurts.
14. Favourite place to read? My bed, or my beanbag chair, or the floor. Yeah, the floor's awesome :D
15. What is your policy on book lending? As long as I'm not reading it, take it! Unless it's really special to me, I won't bother you about it for a looong time :)
16. Do you ever dog-ear books? No. I just remember the page number, or where I was in the story!!
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books? No!
18. Do you break /crack the spine of your book? Not usually on the hard back books, unless they are large, but on paperbacks, probably on accident :) (I hate hardbacks by the way!!)
19. What is your favourite language to read in? I have only read books in English, but I like to read in Dutch, Russian, and Spanish because it challenges me even if I can't understand it all the way! English will probably remain my favorite, because, as Naomi said, the language is limitless!!
20. What makes you love a book? If it affects me emotionally in a positive way, inspires me, has a relatable hero/heroine, or has lots of action and adventure. Annd some books I just connect with!

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? Books that I love to people who I know will love them.
22. Favourite genre? Classics.
23. Genre you rarely read but wish you did? Ummm I wish I read more nonfiction, though I do read it sometimes.
24. Favourite biography? Kisses from Katie. It's about Katie Davis who moved to Uganda, adopted 14 girls, and provides food and education for thousands of children through her ministry. It's a really inspiring book! And Corrie ten Boom's books are soooo good too.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book? I've read books categorized as self-help, but they weren't really self-help books, The Daring Book for girls being the key one.
26. Favourite cookbook? I don't cook. Well, I do cook bean burritos. :D I like to look through cook books and be like "Hey, if I had any aspirations to be a good cook, this would be fun to make!", and then I'm like "Pizza and burritos for the win!!!"

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? Rilla of Ingleside and Kisses from Katie.
28. Favourite reading snack? Whatever is left over in my lunch box from lunch or is easy to prepare (a.k.a graham crackers.)
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience. The Book Thief was really  hyped and the movie was soooo good, but the book was horrible! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. (The story was probably good, but I couldn't finish it because of content issues :(
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book? I don't really read critics, but some of my opinions are unpopular, for instance I don't like young Anne at all!!! (Stop throwing imaginary tomatoes. {cuz I hate tomatoes} The comment box is open!!!)
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? It's ok, I don't think I've done it that much though. (Oh wait, I just bashed the Book Thief)
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose? Arghhhh! I have so many languages!!! I can already read Russian, but I think I would like to get way better in that!
35. Favourite poet? I don't really like poetry that much, but I do like Henry Wadsworth Longfellow because his poems are sing-songy, which I think is the way a poem should be, but my teachers make me use expression :/ (Guys, poems are supposed to rhyme!! And have rhythm!! Therefore you should accent this rhythm when you recite!! And poets should write poems that can be recited sing-songy cuz they're easier to memorize!!!!)
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? Between 5 and 10.
37. How often have you returned books to the library unread? Not a lot, because my mom renews all the books every single week :D
38. Favourite fictional character? Rilla of Ingleside, the older Anne Blythe, Milo from the Phantom Tollbooth, Sherlock Holmes, Jo March, Anne from Persuasion, Lizzy Bennet, the Scarlet Pimpernel, the Pevensie children, Dr. Dolittle, and the list goes on :)
39. Favourite fictional villain? Madame Defarge in A Tale of Two Cities
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading? A month or two. 
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish. The Book Thief. And I can never get very far in the Three Musketeers, though I try very hard!!! (I will finish it someday!!)
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading? The Internets. Homework. Tiredness. The fact that I should probably be doing something else.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel? The Book Thief, the Princess Bride, the Disney animated version of Robin Hood (I know it's not accurate, but I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!), umm apparently, I don't watch many movies based off books...
45. Most disappointing film adaptation? Anne of Green Gables. *dodges the entire blogosphere's rocks (except for Danielle ;)*, some of the American Girl historical movies (they're good in their own way, but not exactly true to the series)

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time? $20? I don't like to spend money :P
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? Wayyy to often, which is bad for mystery reading!
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through? Inappropriateness, boring stuff, busyness of life,
49. Do you like to keep your books organized? My books are kinda organized by author and fiction/nonfiction. (And I'm almost at what-shelf-has-room-for-them)
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them? Keep them for a while, or give them to my sister.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding? Pilgrim's Progress because I started it and it was reallly boring. 
52. Name a book that made you angry. I read the Princess Academy a looong time ago, and I think it made me angry, I don't remember why.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?

 I don't usually read books I don't expect to like *sheepish grin*
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t? Shades of Milk and Honey. The Book Thief.
55. Favourite guilt-free pleasure reading? Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. Books that are below my reading level but still favorites.
Do you agree with my thoughts on books? What are some of your favorite books?

6 comments:

  1. This was fun to read! Most of your favorite childhood books are mine too! And that gif for 53. is too cute (I really like Harry Lloyd). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany: Thanks! I didn't know who was in that GIF, but I thought it fit :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! Inspires me to try some form of it on my blog whenever I next have a Thursday open.

    Loved all those gifs, but the Star Wars one took the cake. :D

    I admit, I'm a rather lazy classics admirer. Other than Jane Austen and Grace Livingston Hill, I don't read the books, just watch the movies. :) Mostly because the reading was too advanced for me when I first heard of the stories and the movies were my first taste of them. I hardly ever read a book after watching its movie/cartoon. The few times I've tried that(Anne of Green Gables, Gone With the Wind, The Vow), I was disappointed. (Except for Narnia. Love The Chronicles of Narnia.)
    Maybe I should try again, though.

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie: Thanks!

    Yesss!! Han Solo is awesome!!!!

    I'd never heard of Grace Livingston Hill, but I just looked her up. Her books look interesting!

    Chronicles of Narnia!!! Yay!!

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Although, I did love 'The Book Thief'...
    'Kisses From Katie' is such a good book and I would recommend it to anyone. Mum bought it after reading an article about her. :)
    Ohmigoodness you mentioned me!!!! (That made me waaay too excited! :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle:
    Kisses from Katie is soooo good!

    Hahaha! I was glad to find someone who agreed with me :D

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D