Monday, October 20, 2014

The Treasure Seekers

Dicky and Alice
I think??
How do I love Edith Nesbit?
Let me count the ways!!

Yes, most of you probably haven't heard of Edith Nesbit, but I loooove her. Her books are children's books, but they still have charm for older readers.

The Treasure Seekers tells of the Bastable children, whose mother has died, and their quest to "restore the fallen fortunes of the Bastable house." The children are Dora, Oswald, Dicky, Alice, Noel (a boy ;), and H.O. (Horace Octavius). They try many ways to find treasure, from being highwaymen, to selling wine to clergymen (one of the funniest parts of the book :D), but they seem to all go awry.

There is a movie of this book that I've seen this 2-3 times, but I forgot most of it. Keira Knightley's in it, if that inspires anyone who likes her to watch it.

The characters in this book were amazing! I loved Alice and Oswald the most, but related more to Dora. She's the big sister who has to act like it by trying to stop everyone from "having fun" and getting into trouble. I felt for Dora A LOT, especially when I heard what her mother told her. I'm the oldest in my class at school, my class at church (most of the time), and in my family. It's hard to have to be the "older" person who sometimes has to be a killjoy. Also, Dora never seems to know if she should play along in the games at all. She's caught between childhood and adulthood, basically the plight of every teenager.

I also loved Albert-next-door's uncle. He was the sort of person I'd like to be when I grow up. Kind, understanding, and teaching kids cool things. Also, I like how Dicky was called the "Definite Article" because he always had to have things planned out!

Basically, I'd like my children to act like the Bastables, polite (most of the time), innocent, inventive, well-read, smart, humble, and kind. If you just read that description, you might think the Bastables were perfect. But they're not. They get into mischief, sometimes on purpose, sometimes on accident.

The thing I really like about Edith Nesbit is that you can read the books as a child, but still enjoy them when you're older. I've read The Railway Children (one of my favorites), Five Children and It, and The Treasure Seekers, and I whole-heartedly recommend them all to you.

As C.S. Lewis said, "A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest."

What are some "children's books" that you enjoy?

2 comments:

  1. I love Edith Nesbit, but I've never heard of that book before...I'll have to look it up.

    I don't know if I could say a favorite children's book, there's more then just one, but another favorite children's author is Henry Winterfeld. I love his books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Another Edith Nesbit fan :D

    I've never heard of Henry Winterfeld before, but I looked up his books. I'm going to see if my library has them now :D

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D