Friday, October 10, 2014

Wonderland Creek

This is not my favorite cover, by far!!
She looks like a doll!!
And, I don't like when the author's name is bigger than the book's title.
Wow, I am sooo glad that Naomi and Emma Jane recommended this book and this author. I think she's one of my favorites (and I don't really like modern Christian fiction) There was so much in this book, so much wisdom, action, and plot. Yeah, there was  A LOT of plot!! Here is the plot from Goodreads because I don't explain it very well, and you probably will go read more Goodreads reviews anyway:


Alice Grace Ripley lives in a dream world, her nose stuck in a book. But the happily-ever-after life she's planned on suddenly falls apart when her boyfriend breaks up with her, accusing her of living in a world of fiction instead of the real one. To top it off, Alice loses her beloved library job because of cutbacks due to the Great Depression.Longing to run from small-town gossip, Alice flees to the mountains of eastern Kentucky to deliver five boxes of donated books to the tiny coal-mining town of Acorn, a place with no running water, no electricity, and where the librarians ride ornery horses up steep mountain passes to deliver books. When Alice is forced to stay in Acorn far longer than she planned, she discovers that real-life adventure, mystery--and especially romance--may be far better than her humble dreams could have imagined.


First, Alice. She was kind of annoying for about three fourths of the book. She doesn't really want to help and complains a lot. It took me a while to get the Alice in Wonderland Creek thing *facepalm* But by the end, Alice had learned some valuable lessons and became a better person. I liked how this story was told in first person too!

Mack, or Leslie. First off, I have a fondness for the name Mack. I watch Macgyver occasionally, and his nickname is Mac. Also, I babysit a little girl named Makenzee, so I call her Mak too. I just really like how it sounds! Mack was an interesting character with all of his secrets. He also provided some of the most exciting parts of the book: the trips to the mine.

Lillie. Lillie was amazing! I had, and still have, a little bit of mixed feelings about her, but she taught so many lessons! The one that I will probably refer to most is this: “[God] wants us to work with Him, honey. Not for Him.”  I think it's kind of like Mary and Martha: Martha was working for God, while Mary was working with Him.

Ike. Ike was interesting... He seemed a little bit forward, but he was nice. I felt myself rooting that he would be able to play his violin on The Grand Ole Opry.

June Ann. She was sooo sweet, but had so much hardship!

Maggie. Wow! Talk about a many-faceted character! 

I really liked how Lynn Austin immersed you in the world of Acorn, Kentucky, the people, the feud, the treasure, etc. And she is a masterful plot creator!! I can't wait to read more of her!! (I have A Woman's Place checked out now!)

If you follow me on Goodreads, you saw that I gave this 4 stars. It was more like 4.5. I wanted to give this 5 stars, but Alice was a little annoying, and the scenes with Ike were a little awkward to read.

Anyway, you should really give this book, and this author a try!

P.S. When you Google image search for Wonderland Creek, a lot of Naomi's posts come up :D

6 comments:

  1. YAY YOU'VE READ WONDERLAND CREEK!!!!

    Isn't it just awesome!?!

    No, I love that cover... I think Alice looks very sweet. :-) But then, opinions differ. :-)

    I know, Alice can be a tad annoying in the first few chapters, but I love her because I'm just like her and I can relate to her whiny-ness. I'm scared of animals, like her, for example, and it was nice to have a heroine like that. :)

    Mack is lovely... but VERY mysterious! Oh, the plot's amazing, amazing, amazing. Yep, you can tell I love this book!

    Haha, I LOVE Lillie- she makes me laugh SO! I love the way she prays, haha. :-P

    I think Ike's a nuisance, but still fun to read. And true, some of his scenes were a little awkward, especially since they don't end together.

    Pooooor little June Ann.

    Haha. I know. I googled 'Wonderland Creek' lately and I was both surprised and delighted when I saw my bloggy stuff all over the place. :-) Thanks for mentioning my name twice. :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way, Lynn Austin's best book ever is 'Hidden Places'

    'A Woman's Place' is enjoyable, but not the best. My favourites are 'Hidden Places', 'Eve's Daughters', 'Refiner's Fire series', 'A Proper Persuit' and 'Wonderland Creek.'

    I love Lynn Austin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi: Yay! Yes, it is awesome!

    Ike was so much fun to read!!

    And yes, the way Lillie prays!! She has so much faith!!

    I want to read A Proper Pursuit and the Refiner's Fire series the most I think. Do I have to start with the first book, or can I start with the second book in the Refiner's Fire series? My library doesn't have a physical book copy of book 1 :(

    I think I love Lynn Austin too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I wanna read this! where did you get it? Is it on kindle?
    XDD
    ~Evie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evie: I got it at the library, but it should be available on Kindle. You should read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, you can read the second one separate. YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT. It's the best one of the series. :-)
    (Oh and the first book is free on kindle.)

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D