Thursday, November 6, 2014

Candle in the Darkness




Lynn Austin, how have I lived without you?!?!

Wow, this book was amazing! It reminded me of a lot of lessons without being "preachy." (Or I like the character so much I didn't mind ;)

 Here's the synopsis from Amazon, because Goodreads' wasn't that great:

The daughter of a wealthy slave-holding family from Richmond, Virginia, Caroline Fletcher is raised in a culture that believes slavery is God-ordained and biblically acceptable. But upon awakening to the cruelty and injustice it encompasses, Caroline's eyes are opened for the first time to the men and women who have cared tirelessly for her. Her journey of maturity and faith will draw her into the abolitionist movement, where she is confronted with the risks and sacrifices her beliefs entail.

{BTW, I couldn't get this book in print at the library, and it was free on Kindle and iBooks, while the others in this series were $9. Any theories on why this book doesn't seem to be that popular?}

Caroline makes sacrifices. Lots of sacrifices. Because I really don't want to spoil this book, I'm going to make suggest you read it. I learned a lot from this book about trusting God and working on His side. For some reason, I really related to Caroline, she's trying to do the right thing, but no one seems to understand. She's so confused. She has to learn to trust God. I think Caroline's so relatable because everyone has to learn to trust God in something.
Eli was amazing!!! The lessons about trusting God, not bargaining with Him, and working for God's side were so powerful!!
I like to think that this is Caroline.

I've been realizing recently that most issues don't have a black-and-white solution, and this book really reinforced that principle. It really made me think about how I would deal with slavery.

I really felt immersed in the world, and I learned some new things too. I can't remember any Civil War books I've read from the perspective of someone in Richmond, so that was interesting.

To you non-Americans who don't know much about Robert E. Lee, let's just say he was an amazing man. He was offered the chance to be the commander of the Union forces, but he turned it down. He was an amazing Christian.
Robert E. Lee

Like Caroline, I felt confused at Charles's reasons for fighting, but I kind of got them too. It's like when you like a really bad team in your favorite sport. If you're a big fan, you're not going to quit being a fan just because they're losing. You cheer for them when they play a much better team that you know will win. You always hold out that one hope, telling yourself that they can win, when most of the time, they can't. (Sports analogies = my life)

Eli's comment about being on God's side, and Caroline's questions about people praying for their side to win reminded me of an article I read in the newspaper. It was about how some high school football teams pray before they begin to play. A preacher said that instead of praying for themselves to win, they should pray for each player to play his best, and for nobody to get hurt. He said something to the effect of "Does God listen to the other team's fans more than yours? No." It was basically what Eli said. That really stuck with me, because sometimes I pray about situations that have two sides to them. Instead of praying for our side to win, we should pray for God's will to be done.

I leave you with a quote from Eli. (It was the best I could find on Goodreads. Cuz it's really hard to flip through a virtual book to look for quotes :(
“Faith don't come in a bushel basket, Missy. It come one step at a time. Decide to trust Him for one little thing today, and before you know it, you find out He's so trustworthy you be putting your whole life in His hands.” 

Ya'll (Yes, I said ya'll. This book takes place in the south!!) really need to read this book. I can't wait to get into Fire by Night.

What's your favorite historical event to read fiction about?

1 comment:

  1. I love this book soooo much! And just wait, dear, book two is EVEN better.

    I think the first book is free because it'll make the other people buy the other two. I guess, that's why.

    Eli is my favourite character... I think he's so amazing and I simple adore the way he talks and says things. :-)

    Oh, I could go on and on about how much I love this book, but I have to go now. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D