Friday, November 21, 2014

Classics Club: The Hound of the Baskervilles


I read this with Hamlette over at The Edge of the Precipice for a read-along! It was a great experience, and I can't wait until the next one!! However, I didn't enjoy this book as much as I though I would. Which is weird because I love Sherlock Holmes, but I think he works better in short stories. I feel like this book was a short story really drawn out. The mystery was interesting and all, but I feel like it could have been made a lot shorter. 
*awkward transition*
Hamlette made some review questions to help write this review:

Have you ever read any Sherlock Holmes stories before?
Yes, I love Sherlock Holmes and his awesome deducing skills. He is arrogant but still loveable, a weird combination.


Have you read this before?  If so, why did you decide to re-read it?

Nope, I read it for the Classics Club


At the end, Watson calls this adventure a "singular narrative, in which I have tried to make the reader share those dark fears and vague surmises which clouded our lives so long and ended in so tragic a manner."  Did he succeed in making you share them?

Yes! Even though this book could have been shorter, when I was reading I was hooked! I am kinda disappointed that the hound didn't turn out to be a machine or something cooler than what it was...

Have you seen any film adaptations of this story?  If so, do you recommend any?

No, but that sounds like fun!


What did you like best about The Hound of the Baskervilles?

The interactions between Holmes and Watson were so, for lack of a better word, sweet! Holmes would sorta put down Watson, but then Holmes would seem to try to butter him up in the next chapter as if he were asking for forgiveness!


Was there anything in the story you didn't care for, or think could have been done better?

Like I already said, I think the story could have been a lot shorter, but I still enjoyed it!!

I gave this three stars on Goodreads, but this is like the good three stars, not the Scarlet Letter bad three stars...

Thanks so much Hamlette for doing this read-along!! I had a lot of fun!!

What is your favorite mystery story?
Do you like Sherlock Holmes?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you thought it could be shorter. I think of all the novel-length Holmes adventures, this is the best-paced. A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear both suffer from over-protracted explanations at the end, where a character tells their entire backstory to explain what happened. And The Sign of the Four is a bit draggy in the middle.

    So I agree that overall, I prefer the short stories :-)

    I'm glad you liked it! Thanks so much for participating :-)

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D