Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Fire by Night

This book has left me speechless.

When I first met Julia, I disliked her. Inwardly I groaned, "Tell me I'm not going to have to spend a long time with this selfish brat" I may have rolled my eyes several a few times. When she overhead Nathaniel talking about her, I was like "Yeah!! Tell her indirectly!!" But, Julia changes!! By the end I loved her! Not as much as Caroline, but she was great. Even when she did have the wrong motives, she never took "No" for an answer.

Phoebe was a great character too. At first, I had mixed feelings about her. She seemed a little too overbearing, but as the book went on, I also loved her. I liked the parallels Austin drew between Christ's love and Phoebe's. I'm not going to talk much about Ted {feel free to have "feels" in the comments ;)} I didn't really like how her story ended. If you've read the book, we can discuss that in the comments too. I'm trying to keep this spoiler free.

I like how Austin balanced the stories. Most of the time, when there are two plots, I have one I like and one I tolerate. In this book, I liked both of the plots!!

Nathaniel was a jerk annoying!! (Well, except when he was explaining the Bible to Phoebe and praying...)And to think I shipped him and Caroline from Candle in the Darkness... *In a snooty voice "My wife's calling will be my calling. God can certainly not be calling her to do anything else"* HE MAKES ME SOOOO MAD!!!! Speaking of the issues about callings that came up, I plan to do a blog post about full-time ministry vs. other callings. Feel free to talk about that in the comments too!

James, was, interesting. I didn't like him at first, but he of course got a lot better as time went on. I am still laughing about that part when he made Julia drink from his bottle!!

I really liked that quote about God giving the Israelites fire by night to keep them from despair. I had never though about the pillar of fire that way before. Also I liked the encouraging quotes about doing what God has called you to do, no matter what other people think.

Anyway, this was a great book! I'm taking a break from this series for a few weeks, but I should read the third book by the end of this year.

Have you ever liked/disliked a character strongly, but then had your opinion changed?

Oh and by the way, you guys (except I'm assuming you're mostly girls...) can email me through the button in my sidebar now!! Yay!! You can also fill out an improvement form there if you want to ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D