Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Reading Wrap Up

Well, through different channels, I found this Reading Year in Review at The Perpetual Page Turner! This was fun to fill out! I can't wait to fill this out next year when I've hopefully read more books!

reading-stats-2014

Number Of Books You Read:
Should be 35 by the end of the year!


Number of Re-Reads:
Around 5?

Genre You Read The Most From:

Classics and Historical Fictionbest-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

(If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Okay, I'll cheat in my own way :D
 Rilla of Ingleside, A Tale of Two Cities, Vienna Prelude

2. Book You Were Excited About And Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Swallows and Amazons and The Blue Castle, sorry :(

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - much better than expected!

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

None, people don't listen to me :D (Just kidding! I probably recommended most of the books I read.)

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

Best series started - Zion Covenant series
Best sequel - Glamour in Glass
Best ender - Rilla of Ingleside

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

Lynn Austin and the Thoenes

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

A Series of Unfortunate Events from Modern Children's Fiction

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Vienna Prelude (I'm gonna be using this one A LOT!!!)

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

A Christmas Carol for my new Christmas tradition!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

The cover I didn't have for Vienna Prelude and the cover I borrowed for A Tale of Two Cities

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

Rilla of Ingleside

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

A Tale of Two Cities

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

Do Hard Things

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch (Because I've wanted to read it since I was in around fourth grade!!)

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

This is one of my favorites from Rilla of Ingleside:
“And two years ago this morning I woke wondering what delightful gift the new day would give me. These are the two years I thought would be filled with fun."
"Would you exchange them - now - for two years filled with fun "
"No " said Rilla slowly. "I wouldn't. It's strange - isn't it - They have been two terrible years - and yet I have a queer feeling of thankfulness for them - as if they had brought me something very precious in all their pain. I wouldn't want to go back and be the girl I was two years ago not even if I could. Not that I think I've made any wonderful progress - but I'm not quite the selfish frivolous little doll I was then. I suppose I had a soul then Miss Oliver - but I didn't know it. I know it now - and that is worth a great deal - worth all the suffering of the past few years.” 

16. Shortest And Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest- Doctor Dolittle's Return
Longest- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most

(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
A Tale of Two Cites stunned me for about a week

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

I'm just gonna take this as my favorite couple: John and Elise from Vienna Prelude

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Walter and Rilla Blythe (brother-sister)

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

Wonderland Creek (thanks Naomi and Emma Jane!)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

Okay, I don't really have a fictional crush, but I do admire the older Gilbert Blythe and John Whats-his-face from Vienna Prelude (It's Murphy, John Murphy, but I may like Whats-his-face better...)

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

I didn't read any novels released in 2014 (I don't think...)

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

A Tale of Two Cities - Paris
Vienna Prelude - Prague

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Rainbow Valley because of all the kid episodes

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

Rilla of Ingleside (nearly)

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Vienna Prelude

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

A Tale of Two Cities

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

Animal Farm (It was great though!!)

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Vienna Prelude (at Hitler) and Animal Farm (at Communists)

book-blogging


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 

Well, I discovered all the blogs I follow in 2014 soooo.... all of them!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

I liked a lot of my tags! The Extremely Ridiculous one was fun!!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

The Classics Club tag because it exposed me to so many other bloggers and the Hound of the Baskervilles Read-Along (my first!)

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?

Starting my blog!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Page views - Classics Club: Anne's House of Dreams
Comments - Epic Book Tag and Anne's House of Dreams

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

A Tale of Two Cities

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

I started using Goodreads extensively for the first time, and the Classics Club of course!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

No :( I did not read 50 books, I read 36. Next year though!

looking-ahead-books-2015

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

Well, my number one priority is the first book in the Little House series that I'll be reading throughout next year!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

Hmmmm, The Importance of Being Earnest, Little Dorrit, and Jeeves and Wooster!

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Well a series ender from Mary Robinette Kowal comes out in 2015; I haven't read that whole series yet.

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

The next books in the Zion Covenant series!!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

Read 50 books and review them all (all on Goodreads and some on my blog)

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read and Recommend To Everyone:

Well, I haven't completely read any 2015 releases yet...

This was really fun!! Stay tuned for my 2015 reading plans later this week!!

6 comments:

  1. Yay! A bookish post! Always something I'm ready to read, you know. :-)

    Classics and Historical fiction - yup, me too. They are just the best genre, I think. Although recently I've started to kind of like modern day fiction too. Not as much as historical fiction, of course. Not possible, that. :-)
    RILLA OF INGLESIDE. Man, how I love that book. It's just so powerful and deep!
    WUT. The Blue Castle disappointed you!?! Tell me that 'sorry' was meant for me, please. :-) But honestly, how? BARNEY, remember BARNEY! HOW CAN YOU BE DISAPPOINTED IN A BOOK WHICH HAS A MAN LIKE BARNEY IN IT.
    Okay, I've calmed down. Haha. :-)
    Ohh, I love Rilla and Walter's brother-sister relationship. SO DARLING. :-)
    You're welcome, 'm dear. Wonderland Creek is a great book indeed, and I'm glad you 'listened' when we recommended it to you. :-)
    My newest fiction crush (I definitely have them, ha) is probably Walter Blythe. When he died, I was... yeah. Heartbroken.
    You will read a debut novel soon, right? Anne of Gables Green. :-) (Wow, that felt good to write down!)
    Oh, you will love the Importance of Being Earnest! I read that recently, in two sittings. It's really funny. Little Dorrit - well, the movie is GREAT (and the book will be easier to read if you've seen it first) - but I personally thought the book to difficult and complicated and LONG. Jeeves and Wooster IS HILARIOUS. I have to read those again.
    Happy New Year, Ashley!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi: Awww, thanks :D

    Yes, the sorry was meant for you :) I don't know, it kinda made me discontent a little. Barney was cool but not someone I would run off with. That part really got me!

    Thanks for recommending Wonderland Creek and introducing me to a new favorite author!!

    I knew Walter's death was coming, but it still made me sooooo sad!!! :(

    Yup, currently in the middle of your 2015 debut :D

    I can't wait to read all of those books!!

    Happy New Year!!! Thanks for the lovely comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Tangled gif. :)
    This is a great list. Rilla of Ingleside is great... I'm planning to re-read it an the rest of the series next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I loved Rilla of Ingleside, and A Tale of Two Cities made me cry. Such a beautiful book... You read Do Hard Things this year? I recently read that book too, and it's incredible! I've shared it with a few of my friends, and I really should live by it more. (-: And you will love The Importance of Being Earnest. It's really funny in a sort of silly way.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you loved Wonderland Creek!!!! And you're very welcome. I never know how far my influence reaches, haha. ;-P

    Happy New Year!

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lois: I read/reread the whole series in 2014! It's so much fun!!

    Elizabeth: The feels in A Tale of Two Cities!!! I need to remember the lessons from Do Hard Things!! I can't wait to read the Importance of Being Earnest!

    Emma: Thanks for your recommendations!! I enjoy your new book blog for that reason!!

    Happy New Year everybody!!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D