Tuesday, December 23, 2014

White Christmas

Cuz it's Christmas Adam, I decided to review my favoritest (most favorite you Grammar Nazis) Christmas movie ever!! WHITE CHRISTMAS!!! Yes, the dancing and singing and Christmasy cheer!! Starring Bing Crosby (I mix up his name with Bill Cosby sometimes...), Danny Kaye (awesomeness!), Vera Ellen (dancing phenom), and Rosemary Clooney (she has a great alto). Yes people, this movie is amazing!! And if you haven't seen it, you're missing out!!


The plot of this movie is as follows:

Kaye saves Crosby from certain death during World War II. They become partners in the music industry. Kaye wants Crosby to settle down, and when they meet two girls, Betty and Judy, it seems his chance has come. They all go to Vermont, where there is no snow. And lo and behold, the owner of their hotel is Kaye and Crosby's old general! Except he's having financial problems with the hotel now because there is no snow. Kaye and Crosby try to save the hotel for the general, and in the mean time, well, they sing songs, dance, and get to know the sisters. *hint, hint*

Kaye and Crosby star as Wallace and Davis, but I can never remember who's who, so I refer to them by their acting name. {Side funny story: I had heard Bing Crosby sing, but I had never seen what he looked like until I saw this movie. Let's just say his voice doesn't match up with his body...}

I loooove this movie, but mostly I love the songs, so let's go through them now, shall we?

White Christmas~This is sung by Bing Crosby as only he can sing it! It's wonderful!!

The Old Man~This song is a tribute to General Waverly.

Miscellaneous Irving Berlin songs~This is kind of a montage of all the different things that Wallace and Davis do together. I like Blue Skies the best!

Sisters~I love this song!! I sing it with my sister all the time! And when the guys do it!! It's hilarious!!

The Best Things Happen While Your Dancing~This is a lovely song, with a lovely dance!  It has tap dance, swinging around poles, and a zip line (sort of)!! 


Snow~This song is just all-around nice :)

Minstrel Show~This is the first song that Wallace and Davis rehearse for their show, and boy, is it big!! I love how Vera Ellen flips when she dances! She is so flexible!!

Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep~Such a sweet song! Sadly, I don't get to watch it that often because younger siblings and I tend to like the more exciting dance scenes...

Choreography~This song is interesting, not the best one in the movie. I do like when Vera Ellen does her tap reallllly fast! We sit there mesmerized, and promptly try and fail...
Yay! I accidentally found a GIF!!

"Abraham"~I've already put this on my blog, but I love it! It's a short dance, but very bouncy and energetic! And I love the color of Judy's dress!

"Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me" ~Another slow song that we skip most of the time

"What Can You Do with a General?~This is the song that Crosby sings to ask all the men to come to Vermont for the holidays to surprise the general. It's a great tribute!

"Gee, I Wish I Was Back in the Army~This song is funny and, as most of these songs are catchy!


"White Christmas (finale)"~The finale, when it starts snowing!! (That's not a spoiler because you've probably already guessed how this ends)

So, as I already said, this is my favorite Christmas movie of all time!! And one of my favorite musicals! And if you haven't seen it, well, first, where have you been living, and second, what are you waiting for!!!

What did you think about this movie? (You have seen it, right?)

4 comments:

  1. I actually just found this a year or two ago, and it's so awesome! I think everyone should see it at least once. (-:I should watch it again sometime soon... Omg, the sisters act is the best! I love it, and would watch the movie just for that, if the movie weren't already awesome by itself. (-;
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite Christmas movie too! It's hilarious and the music and dancing are great. Vera Ellen is out of this world flexible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi: *gasp* You must see this!! Immediately!!!

    Elizabeth: The sisters act is awesome!! And yes, everyone should see this!

    Lois: Give me Vera Ellen's flexibility for Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D