Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Birthday's Afoot!


Lame title, sorry. But that's my specialty :D Anywhoo, today is supposedly Sherlock Holmes's birthday, or so I'm told. In honor of the momentous occasion, a party has been prepared at The Edge of the Precipice, complete with a tag and presents!!! So go check it out!!! Here's my answers to The Good Old Index of Questions!

The Good Old Index of Questions

1.  When and how did you first encounter Sherlock Holmes?
Okay, I didn't remember until I read another blogger's post. She mentioned that she had him in her reading books! And I was like, oh yeah!! I had one Sherlock Holmes story every year for four or five years!! The one that really stuck with me was the one about the snake that comes down the pole, AKA The Adventure of the Speckled Band. Good ol' Abeka! Then when I was in eighth grade, my friend bought a huge volume of all the Sherlock Holmes stories. Ashley, of course had to have that. So I do. 


2.  Please share a fact or two about yourself related to Holmes.  (You've read the whole canon, you've been to Baker Street, you're an official BSI member, etc.)
Ummmm, no, no, and no. So let's see. A friend of mine was in a Sherlock Holmes play! It was amazing! Moriarty was awesomely creepy, there were newsies, and a sniper. So yeah, it was epic!


3.  What are three of your favorite Holmes adventures?
Ummm, let me see. The Red-Headed League because it's unforgettable! The Adventure of the Speckled Band, also unforgettable. The Adventure of the Three Students, because I love how Holmes works in that one!


4.  What draws you to the Sherlock Holmes stories?
Well, Holmes himself and his deductions. Sometimes I just flip through the stories reading only the deduction parts!


5.  If you were going to give Sherlock Holmes a birthday present, what would it be?
Well, I've already heard tickets to a violin concert, but that's probably what he would most want!


6.  If you could climb into a Holmes story and replace any one character for a day, who would you like to be?
Watson because basically you are Watson when you read the story and he gets to watch a lot of cool stuff!


7.  Please share some of your favorite Holmes-related quotes!

Ummmm, sad to say I know one off the top of my head: 


“As a rule, the more bizarre a thing is the less mysterious it proves to be. It is your commonplace, featureless crimes which are really puzzling, just as a commonplace face is the most difficult to identify.” 

Another one I heard today: 
"Crime is common, logic is rare."



This is my life....

So Happy Birthday Mr. Holmes!! And may you have many more!!!

5 comments:

  1. That "omnivorous reader" quote -- that's also my life. I actually bought a bracelet that says that, because it's so me. And makes me think of dear Holmes :-)

    You know what? Now that you mention it, I remember reading one or two Holmes stories in my Abeka lit readers too! Specifically "The Red-Headed League." I'd read it previously and was overjoyed to get to re-read something I liked for schoolwork, hee.

    Very cool that you got to see a friend of yours perform in a play about Holmes! That sounds decidedly fun.

    Thanks for joining the party!

    (And yes, I think your GFC widget is broken.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a Sherlock Holmes play! All of the quotes you chose are really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamlette: Yes, the omnivorous reader quote is soooo true :D
    Yay! You did Abeka too!
    The play was fun!
    Thanks for hosting the party!
    Yeah, sorry about the widget! I need to figure out how to fix it! Thanks for following anyway!

    Manette: I would love to see another Sherlock Holmes play!! Thanks for the comment! I love your name! It reminds me of A Tale of Two Cities :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Tale of Two Cities is one of my absolute favorite novels and I picked the name from there deliberately :) Mr Dickens was wonderfully good at names!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The adventure of the speckled band' also made a very strong impression upon me and it still is my very favourite short-story. I still feel the same thrill every time I read it and see Holmes and Watson waiting in this darkened room.

    This leads me to say that I would absolutely love to be Watson, as well, for a day. It would be so exciting, hearing live-deductions and following Holmes on his adventures !

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D