Thursday, January 22, 2015

Today I'm Playing....

Well, I was going to write a blog post on all the songs I play constantly on the piano, but they rotate. I have decided to do a periodic blog feature on my favorite piano songs that I'm playing/working on right now! I need to finish that blog post on my piano "story", but in brief, I've been playing the piano for around 11 years. I love to play by ear. Jazz, blues, and southern gospel are my favorite styles to play. And I don't play that many classical pieces. #SorryNotSorry


It's Only a Paper Moon: This song uses my favorite chord progression that works in practically every oldies song! 1-6m-2m-5! It's awesome! You can speed it up or slow it down and get real jazzy. It's kinda my comfort song right now.


When We All Get to Heaven: I'm trying to arrange one offertory a month in 2015. January's was Take Time to Be Holy. February's is When We All Get to Heaven. It goes from jazzy, to old church style, to fast southern gospel (based off the styles in this video)! Guess what my basic chord progression is? Yup, 1-6m-2m-5!

Count Your Many Blessings: This is a song for a Fine Arts Competition. It's kinda hard, but I can feel I'm making progress. It was actually arranged by my piano teacher!

Do you play any instruments? What are you playing right now? Also, are any of you participating in National Readathon Day?

10 comments:

  1. I play piano too! *high five* I've only been playing for about 5 or so years, so not nearly as long as you... I play a lot of classical stuff, but I really want to get into some Jazz and stuff like that. I'm currently learning the first movement of Beethoven's sonata in G major, op. 14 no. 2. It's a really cool song, but I'm not very far along in it yet. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play the piano, can play the trumpet a little, and used to play the flute. I'm going to start teaching my 7-yr-old to play the piano next week, and went to the music store yesterday to get books to teach him from. Ended up buying a couple for myself too :-D I got the music for the musical ep of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and a book of songs from Frozen and Tangled. Both great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ashley! Fun post!

    I play the piano and the fiddle. I admit, though, I'm out of practice with them both, even though I play the piano at my church. My left hand technique is horrid. Between novel-writing and blogging I've let myself get lax. I did get out my Rogers and Hammerstein book to play just for fun today. I played mostly pieces from "The King and I," which my sister has been wanting to watch lately. We love it because of the huge golden dress Deborah Kerr wears. Or is it pink? I think it's gold. But "the polka" is one of our favorite parts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth: *high five back* Jazz piano is so much fun to play! I looked up that Sonata and it sounds sooo pretty! Good luck learning it!

    Hamlette: The trumpet sounds cool to play :D I have a book of songs from Frozen! They're so much fun to play! Have fun teaching!

    Natalie: Thanks! I love the sound of the fiddle! I need to look in to a Rogers and Hammerstein book! I've only seen part of the King and I, but it was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to play piano for my church! I loved the offering and arranging songs to be really awesome but still recognisable. x) (I only quit playing piano for the congregational singing because it was too stressful and my church got so big! AH SCARY.) I loved to arrange How Great Thou Art because you can sooo mess up the timing and still have it sound cool. X)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cait: Yes! Arranging songs for offering is sooo fun! Yeah, playing for congregation is stressful. Usually I get by with playing for the not-as-attended services :D How Great Thou Art is a cool song!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool! I always wish I stuck with piano so that I could play the really cool, complicated sounding songs. But, my bratty 7-year-old self didn't think I needed piano in my life... so... I know nothing about piano :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hannah: Awww :( 7 was a hard piano year for me. Lots of tears...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Nat King Coles "Paper Moon"! I also love "L-O-V-E". (Oops. No pun intended)
    I play the piano, and I like to play classical music and a little bit Broadway music. I think I have to add jazz to my repertoire. I am now learning a Chopin Waltz and Beethoven's first Sonatina.
    I would have participated in National Readathon Day, but my schedule was packed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ekaterina: Nat King Cole is amazing!! L-O-V-E is one of my favorite songs! Broadway is so much fun to play!! I think I've played that Beethoven sonatina before! Aww :( I probably read for 2 hours out of the four. I hope they do it again!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D