When I started this post, I had literally just finished North and South at 11:30 at night. North and South has now become my favorite non-musical period drama I've ever seen
(Wives and Daughters, Emma '96, Mansfield Park '??, P and P '80 are the ones I have seen. Wives and Daughters is my second favorite. I'm currently watching Little Dorrit and P and P '95. #TooLongParenthese)
I guess I liked it because there was a lot more tension than in other period dramas I've seen that seem to be sort of fluffy, with no real issues other than marriage and stuff (not that marriage isn't a real issue...)
So most of you probably know what North and South is about, but if you don't here's a short conversation to help you out. BTW, this is not the American TV show North and South, nor is it about the Civil War, as Richard Armitage originally thought...
Margaret: Mr. Thornton is cruel.
Mr. Thornton: Margaret is proud.
Mr. Thornton: Margaret, will you marry me?
Mr. Thornton: Margaret, will get on this train with me?
(That's not really a spoiler, cuz if you didn't figure out that was going to happen, then you haven't seen a lot of movies...)
Because there are so many reviews of this in my corner of the blogosphere, I'm just going to randomly list the things I like. Because I do random and lists.
|Weird slouch hat that I'm pretty sure nobody else can pull off|
|That awkward moment when you search for Mrs. Thornton and get pictures of Mr. Thornton...|
|I think Naomi said she wanted Fanny to have triplets.|
|Is she shaking with two hands?|
- The North English accents!! (And my horrible attempts at them...)
- Boucher, until he died and his face turned purple and his shoe fell off and stuff...
- The tension throughout the whole movie was awesome! There was tension between the mill workers and Thornton, tension between Margaret and Thornton, tension between Frederick and the government, tension between Lennox and Margaret, tension between Mrs. Hale and everybody, and just tension over all! Tension makes for a good movie!
|Cuz when you search "north and south first proposal scene" pictures of Koreans come up?|
|Originally from Pinterest|
- The "Look back" scene
|His hat is a cross between Margaret's and Clenham's|
- Thornton helping Boucher's boy! And Boucher's whole family I think!
Awkward/Annoying/Ashley-doesn't-like (Alliteration is important!)
- Henry Lennox... He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time at the end... (Come to think of it, didn't he get rejected too :P) He was also awkward, but not in a funny way. More like in a "everybody cringe because Lennox is here" way.
- Boucher's purple face
-Edith was a bit annoying, and she didn't have anything funny to say to make up for it!
-Mrs. Hale! She was so annoying! I only felt bad for her at the end because I thought I was supposed too!
|Somebody stick a cravat over his collar now!!!|
And yeah, whenever mentions "the look" I might go into silent ecstasies!
And the things I liked! The look was amazing when she starts talking about business stuff. Their sitting by each other in the train was sweet too! And then there's me imagining them living in Milton with Mrs. Hale-Thornton starting schools and their doing other philanthropic endeavors together. Forever. The end.
So yeah, I liked this movie. A LOT! What about you?