Saturday, February 21, 2015

Literary Heroine Blog Party 2015!


So when I first started blogging, I couldn't wait for the Literary Heroine Blog Party at Accordion to Kellie! But I forgot about it. Until I saw everybody else's tags!! Yay!! Thanks Kellie! 

Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random! Hi! My name is Ashley. I'm a 16 year old junior from Phoenix, Arizona, where it's currently warm enough to wear a tank top. (Take that you easterners...) I want to be a journalist and a southern gospel pianist and a bunch of other stuff on the side :) From that statement, you probably figured out that I like to write (NONFICTION) and play the piano and do a bunch of other stuff, such as reading, learning languages, and watching Hogan's Heroes. 

Random fact: I love The Emperor's New Groove. In fact, the only reason this fact is in here is so that I could have a place to put a GIF.



What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? A true heroine is strong in her character, decisions, and spirit. Meaning, she is strong enough to carry the whole book. She should be a good role model, but not perfect. A wishy-washy heroine who can't make decisions is not fun to read a whole book about...

Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.  Ummm, wow! Every blogger and their uncle is probably going to say Elizabeth Bennet, so I'm not :D I admire Elisa Linder (from the Zion Covenant series that mysteriously works its way into every post...), and I admire how Rilla of Ingleside grew and handled herself. 


However, I feel I have more in common with Violet Travilla (Elsie Dinsmore's daughter). Guys, I don't think I ever related to a heroine as much as I did when I read Violet's feelings about growing up!! She's practically me!!! (The Violet books are waaay better than the Elise ones, IMO). Also, I tend to be a Susan from the Chronicles of Narnia, before the Dawn Treader. (Oh, and this doesn't really count because I don't relate to her, but a favorite book series of mine has twin protagonists named Ashley and Bryce (my brother's name)!!!

Also, I haven't read The Penderwicks in a while, but I think I'm kind of a mix of Skye and Jane.

Five of your favorite historical novels? A Tale of Two Cities, Vienna Prelude (well, there it is again...), The Witch of Blackbird Pond,  Rilla of Ingleside, and Captain's Courageous.


Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why? Let's go with Elisa Linder (again). She's smart, musical, and marries an American journalist. She's also a spy... Rilla of Ingleside is amazing too!

Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why?  Nat from The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Or Walter from Rilla of Ingleside. 

Cuz I'm so proud of this right now

If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? The UK (and a quick stop to see my European friends :D). I would see everything!!

What is your favorite time period and culture to read about? Recently, I've read a lot of Civil War books, but my favorite time periods are the 1930s-40s and 1770s-80s.

You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation, tap dancing… what is your act comprised of? Playing southern gospel piano. And maybe It's Only a Paper Moon, Heart and Soul, and I Got Rhythm.

If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?  Susan Pevensie! (I'm pretty sure I drooled over C. S. Lewis's description of nice clothes that were comfortable. I drool over a lot of stuff in Narnia, come to think of it...)

Favorite author(s)? In no particular order: Dickens, Alcott,  Jane Austen, Lynn Austin, Henty, Montgomery, Nesbit, C. S. Lewis, NOT Nathaniel Hawthorne

In which century were most of the books you read written? 19th-early 20th.

In your opinion, the ultimate hero in all literature is… RHETT BUTLER!! Just kidding :D Laurie is awesome as a character, but not a great hero. For ordinary heroes, Gilbert Blythe!! (GUYS, did you watch the last episode of Green Gables Fables!!! #Shirbert) For extraordinary heroes, The Scarlet Pimpernel!
I don't exactly remember what was being referred too but that sweater though....

In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... Madame Defarge from A Tale of Two Cities or Blandois from Little Dorrit. Madame Defarge is fascinating, but Blandois is creepy....

Describe your ideal dwelling place. I'm not a big city person, but I need modern conveniences, so the country is out of the question. I'd like to stay in Phoenix or move to Nashville, cuz everybody awesome lives there!

Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 


Three favorite Non-fiction books? Do Hard Things, The American Boys Handy Book, and The Story of My Life by Helen Keller.

Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? Swim, blog, surf Pinterest/YouTube, play piano, read, watch Netflix.

Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. No hat. In concept, a cool-looking baseball hat would be nice or a slouchy beanie, except they both make my head sweaty and itchy and the beanie probably would slip off my head.


Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. Umm, besides starting a blog, nothing extremely big has happened to "mark my life." It's usually the little stuff that leaves a big impact.

Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Cuz contentment is hard sometimes...

Thanks so much Kellie! I had fun answering the questions!

P.S. I might not be around much in the next two weeks. I have a Fine Arts Competition coming up and a lot of research paper notecards. However, by spring break (in two weeks), "I shall return!"

9 comments:

  1. "NOT Nathaniel Hawthorn"
    Love it! I do not appreciate Nathaniel Hawthorn either. His Tanglewood Tales and Wonder book were fine but The Scarlet Letter and House of Seven Gables were NOT!
    Also, I hadn't heard of Green Gables Fables but I went and looked it up and I may have to watch it. :) It looked on the same line of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries which I watched a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should see "The Emperor's New Groove" again. I saw it once and liked it a lot.

    I quite love your GIF of Thor kicking a Chitauri out of frame :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect. The End! Really tho I loved everything about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. First--I love all the Emperor's New Groove gifs you used! They're perfect;)

    The Witch of Blackbird Pond! Nat and Kit forever and always <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lois: I know! Some of his short stories are amazing, but others bore you to death (or tears). You should watch Green Gables Fables!

    Hamlette: Yessss! You should! Hahaha, I actually didn't notice that (not that I know who a Chitauri is..), but it looks cool :D

    Evie: Thanks!

    Arwen: Thanks!! Nat and Kit are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my....warm weather. I absolutely love short sleeves. ;)

    And I still consider Captains Courageous as one of the formative books of my reading (and writing!) experience -- it just sticks with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, The Emperor's New Groove has a way of still being funny as it's being watched again...again... xD

    Oh, who doesn't love Nat from The Witch of Blackbird Pond?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi: Short sleeves are the best! I hate being cold! I can see Captains Courageous as a book I'll be coming back to a lot! Thanks for commenting!

    Skyeler: I love how you spell your name! Yes! The Emperor's New Groove is always funny! Ahh Nat! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D