Saturday, March 14, 2015

Birthday Club: The Westing Game

I love my cover!
So I should probably review Little Dorrit before the Westing Game you say? After all I read it first? WELL, Little Dorrit was a bajillion pages long and had a bajillion characters and I can't find the screencaps I want. SO THERE. Anywho I couldn't really find any authors born in March that I liked, so I started going through books that I wouldn't mind rereading, and yep, Ellen Raskin was born in March!! Yay!! The Westing Game has been a favorite of mine for a few years now. I watched the movie in eighth grade, and read the book at the end of that school year. It's mysterious, thrilling, and funny. I actually enjoy reading it more now that I sorta remembered the ending.

The characterization in this book is amazing! Especially considering the number of characters! (Not as much as in Little Dorrit, but still a lot!) They each have their own personality and their dialogue shows it!

Turtle is my favorite. She's smart, courageous, and independent! I love her relationship with Baba!

Theo and Doug are probably my favorite other characters. I love the Theo/Angela subplot! Grace and Mr. Hoo are my least favorite characters, but Hoo's On First is a great restaurant name! Crow is the most confusing, until the end, when she's still confusing, but you have more puzzle pieces to understand her. I love the friendship between Mrs. Hoo and Mr. Wexler. "She never will [understand English] unless someone talks to her." Also the line about Denton Deere (ANNOYING ALERT) not understanding the nun/none position was classic. And the line about every quote being from the Bible or Shakespeare comes back to me at weird times.

Rabbit trail: My brain is weird like that. All of the sudden I find myself repeating a line or a scene in my head from who knows where. And I sometimes surprise myself with random info that I read somewhere a long time ago.

The plot is complicated (possibly too complicated?), but the loose ends all get tied up in a conclusion! I love conclusions where the author shows the future of the characters!

Anyway, I highly recommend this book! It's funny, mysterious, and possibly a little scary! Read it twice! It may be better the second time!

5 comments:

  1. This is a favorite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this book! I loved it! :) And yes, Hoo's on First is the PERFECT name for a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I was confused the whole time until the end like every mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my absolute favorite books. I have a rule that I have to wait at least 5 years between re-reads so that it fades a bit in my memory and will feel fresh and mysterious again.

    But... there's a movie? Oh my. How did that go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany: Yay!

    Lois: The name is perfect!!

    Ekaterina: It is sooo confusing until the end!

    Hamlette: That's a great rule! I should do that! The movie was great as far as I remember. It was different than the book, but pretty close, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D