Thursday, May 28, 2015

Birthday Book Club: May

From Amazon
 The copy I want to buy
I read this book reallllly fast, like really fast for me. It was so good that I need to go back through it slowly, but wow! It's like gulping down beautiful writing. (That started as a great simile and then...)

Let's just start with the writing. Laura Hillenbrand is amazing! She can tell a story too! She adds lots of detail, but it's never too boring. In fact, I loved it so much, that I'm going to read Seabiscuit, her other book. It's about a racehorse, something that doesn't really interest me, but I love her writing sooooo much!

And the characters! You can't really criticize real life people like you would fictional characters, but here's my favorites: Louie, duh! he's amazing!, Phil, cuz he's nice, and the Scottish dudes, cuz they were so smart. I also like that guy who knew a lot of languages and Pete, Louie's brother. The Bird was creepy and just weird! What was wrong with him?!

And the end of this book! This is kind of spoilery, but if you already know the main story of Zamperini, read on. Louie's conversion was awesome! I loved how he turned his life around! It really shows what Christ can do through a person!

I also felt bad for Phil. Everybody was so interested in Louie because he was famous before the War, that they sorta forgot about Phil :( I enjoyed the little story about him being so happy to share his war experiences!

I already love WWII, but this book helped me to get a glimpse of what prison camps in the Pacific were like. (Come to think of it, I don't really know a lot about European prison camps, just the concentration camps.) I'm curious to see how Axis powers were treated in American prison camps.

So obviously, I loved this book! I remember it as a whole, like diving into a swimming pool and being immersed for 72 hours. I need to read it again soon!

As a YouTube title said, Louis Zamperini: Unbroken by man, Humbled by God. I think that's the whole message of the book: People, trials, and the world can't break you if you've already been broken by God. It's a beautiful message, but a hard one to live out!


4 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks lovely. I've heard of Seabiscuit, but I think I'd want to read this one more. Cuz, WW2 books. :-D

    Also, your new header! Very holiday-ish! Makes me want to go to the seaside right now. :)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi: Of course, cuz WW2 books! Thanks! I hope I can go this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about this story, but didn't know it was a Christian story! Will have to check it out.

    P.S. Is your new blog decor cute or what? Not what. Definitely not what. It's cute, that's what it is. ;) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie: It's not written by a Christian author, but the in the end he becomes a Christian and turns his life around! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D