Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Is it Carolyn or Caroline?


This post is gonna be a leetle long cuz there's seven books just FYI

Sweet Caroline! BOMP BOMP BOMP! #SorryNotSorry, just had to get that out of the way! I loved this series!!!! It was amazing!!! The stand alone books were pretty good, but the whole story was awesome!! Mostly I loved it because I am basically Caroline Quiner. Guys, we are so alike it's creepy. (Come to think of it, I actually used to pretend I was her when I was like six. (Yes I said "like." I wasn't exactly six: maybe I was seven?)) Let's just list these similarities:

We're both good at spelling and can be beaten by one particular boy. 
We both love writing. We both love books. We both love kids. We both like to do something for someone else rather than accept an unrequited favor. We both are practical (sort of). We both are the person who's always worried about doing the right thing. We both want to be teachers (When I was little, that was my dream). We both don't want to go into marriage if it will stop us from doing what we love. We both like to stay put. We're both sort of naive. Ummm yeah, it's awesomely weird isn't it!

Anyway, onward to the books, and there's a lot! Except, one more thing, is it pronounced Carolyn or Caroline? I mostly go with Caroline, but sometimes it's a mix between the two. Anywho, I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject!


And, let's just discuss the overriding issues/positives right now: 


Firstly, what happened to Charlotte! She seemed a lot different than her girlish self! Also, she was always quoting Bible verses! Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that Martha didn't seem like the one who was always teaching that to her children. (Not that Martha didn't teach her children the Bible, but it wasn't mentioned as much in the Charlotte books as in the Caroline books)


Also, there wasn't much of a difference between Charlotte and Caroline as little girls? As Caroline grew up, she developed her own personality, though.


Also, I loved the covers on these, and all of the Little House books!


Finally, the Laura Little House Books mention that Caroline came from back East and had her clothes made by a fashionable dressmaker. (Because I'm from the West, I always say back East.) Which story is right?

Now, onto the books! I'm gonna go fast because there's 7! (Perfect number, an odd number, the number of completion, one of my lucky numbers (the other one's 3)).


Little House in BrookfieldApparently this was one of my favorite books ten years ago. I seem to have started it so much that the first two chapters are falling out of the book!  This book does have great historical detail, and the characterization is great! I used to "put myself in this book" all the time when I was little.


Little Town at the CrossroadsI actually liked this book a lot better than the first one. Charlotte seemed to lighten up some and have fun. There's not really an overall story arc, just little episodes. I'm fine with that style though. Sometimes you need to read a little fun book that doesn't require too much brain power. Basically the one word that would describe this book is sweet. Caroline is sweet, her friend Anna is sweet, the spelling bee is sweet, the cover is sweet, pretty much everything about this book is sweet. Except for Martha. For a nine-year-old, she's sorta a jerk. She leads Caroline into doing wrong stuff (although that's also Caroline's fault), she's boy-crazy, and she's disobedient. Really?! Also, I liked a boy when I was nine, but I don't remember constantly asking to be around him.... Also, the maturity of these kids is amazing! Joseph is only 12 years old, but he could practically be the man of the house!


Little Clearing in the WoodsI think I liked this book about the same as the last one. It does seem like we've taken a step back in time, instead of ahead though. I enjoyed getting to see the Quiner family in action. I also enjoyed the times Charlotte loosened up a bit. Also, was it just me, or did going up to people and asking to do odd jobs seem a little, shall we say, presumptuous? I don't know. I'm glad they got the jobs though!


On Top of Concord HillSo Charlotte gets married in this book, which I'm pretty sure is not a spoiler at all! (I hope) The whole thing is a leeetle awkies, but it's like a natural awkies. (If that makes sense) Mr. Holbrook is a lot different from the whole family, actually, but in the following book he finally seems to fit in. Also, Henry gets obsessed with the gold rush and basically becomes a jerk! Which is sad because I like Henry :( Henry and Mr. Holbrook start on rocky ground, but several incidents help to repair their relationship. Joseph is awesome!! He's so strong and mature, and basically one of the most underrated characters of the series! This book was pretty much the same (rating wise) as the others. Sweet reads to take your mind off your own troubles!



Across the Rolling RiverOkay, for several reasons, I only planned to give this book four stars, but certain lines won me over! I don't remember specifics, but most of them were Charlie's classic one-liners to Charlotte! Also, the fact that Caroline's spelling is highlighted in this book is awesome because that is so me! (I've won my state's Christian school spelling bee a lot...) The new author was noticeable, but I actually think she may have been the better one, once I got used to her! Why do they skip so many years between books? I guess it was to help the new author change to not be so noticeable, but still! Charlie completely won my heart! And he's actually not in the book a lot! Just little things he said and did and how he made Caroline giggle! I ship them soooo hard, not as hard as Martha and Lew, but hard! I also recognized a few Ingalls' names from Little House in the Big Woods too! This was a sweet book, like the others in this series, and I can't wait to see Laura and Charlie's relationship develop more!

Little City by the Lake: So I wasn't going to be able to read this book, but a sweet lady in my church bought it for me!! Thanks!!! I loved the descriptions of the dresses! And I loved the newspaper business (because I want to be a journalist)! Like Caroline, I wasn't sure what I would think of Uncle Elisha, but he was nice and charming! The cousins were nice too! The college sounded like a fun, educational experience, but the calisthenics class was a leeetle bit weird. Well, we do calisthenics in PE but as warmups and not the same clothing.. Thanks again Miss Jo for letting me read this great book!

A Little House of Their Own: Why, oh why couldn't they just finish and write the marriage and everything!! Anyway, Yay! Caroline's the same age as me now! (I have a weird thing about that. And guys, do you know how weird it is to be older than all my favorite characters!!!! I can't pick a Sound of Music alternate identity now!!!! I could be Maria, I guess! But I think I'm older than Susan Pevensie, Jo at the beginning of Little Women, and so many others! It's distressing!!) Anywho, I enjoyed the interesting look at schooling in this time period. I especially admired how Caroline taught her school and kept order in the classroom. The story of Friday (I don't remember his first name) was especially sweet! And then the main focus of the book was sweet :D I loved how Charlotte's advice to Caroline, and I loved Charles. (He looks reallly nice on the cover :D) I sorta wished the book would have gone into more detail with the wedding and stuff, but the epilogue sufficed. I can't wait to start the Laura books!

5 comments:

  1. Haha. I love your 'Sweet Caroline' intro. Now I'm singing that song in my head! ;-)

    I haven't read these books, but I've heard many good things about them! They look so adorable.

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's CarolINE.... in my opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *squeals and jumps*

    The Caroline books! The Caroline books! (It's CarolINE, definitely! It annoys me so much when the TV series pronounces it Carolyn. :-P)

    I used to be EXACTLY the same, Ashley, I WAS Caroline. When I read it for the first time I was really elated that I had finally found a character I related so much to. I lived in these books too. :-D

    Yes, I think that when Laura said Caroline's dresses were made by a fashionable dressmaker she's referring to when Caroline went to Milwaukee. I bet Caroline kept those two dresses she got there and told Laura about how they were made by a fashionable dressmaker. :-) You know, Mrs Samms.

    Haha, the calesthinics in 'Little City by the Lake' are a little weird, I think so too. They sound rather fun, though. :-P

    A LITTLE HOUSE OF THEIR OWN. I love it. So much. :-)
    I totally agree about then ending! I wanted more cuteness and marriage and maybe Charles carrying Caroline into their little house of their own (which, after all is the title.) The ending really went too abrupt. I wanted more!
    And I LOVE Charles. Everything he does, in every book. The end. :-)

    Great reviews, Ashley! Your book reviews are always my favourite book reviews ever. :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww. These books look very sweet.

    I know exactly what you mean about outgrowing (or simply growing older than) your favorite fictional characters! When I first watched the Narnia movies, I was 16, and thought Peter was such a heartthrob. :) I really related to Susan as well. Now, they all look like little children to me and it makes me want to cry, lol. I wish they'd come out with more of those movies, btw. I was particularly looking forward to the Silver Chair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma: Thanks!! You should read them! They're really hard to find though :(

    Lois: Yeah, that seems to be the consensus!

    Naomi: Ahhh, that makes sense! I forgot about Mrs Samms! Charles!!! Yes!! It's so cool to see him develop in the Laura books! Awww thanks!

    Natalie: They are! Noooo, you just reminded me that Peter was thirteen! WHAT!!! Oh well, he ruled until he was like 28 so we're still good! (Thanks Google) I heard a rumor that they were coming out with a Silver Chair movie?

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D