Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2015 Book Wrap-Up

I really enjoyed the book tag from The Perpetual Page-Turner last year, so I decided to do it again! Also, you should go check out my year in books HERE cuz I really don't feel like linking to all my reviews right now. BUT I did stick to my goal of writing a review for each and every book! I'm so glad I did as it made remembering stuff a lot better. And now you can stalk my reviews like I stalk yours!
 

Number Of Books You Read: 73 (Possibly 74 by the end of the year!)
Number of Re-Reads: 25ish
Genre You Read The Most From: Classics/Historical Fiction



1. Best Book You Read In 2015?

REALLY REALLY REALLY this is hard cuz I read soo many 5 star books this year, and they are mostly all classics and historical fiction!! Okay, here's one classic, one historical fiction, and one nonfiction! Happy? And I reference each of these several times throughout this post.
Historical fiction: Violins of Autumn
Nonfiction: Unbroken
Classic: Captains Courageous
2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
There were a few of these, but the one that stands out is Bachelor Girl from the Rose Little House series, but you can read all about that HERE in my Rose series review.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  

The Black Arrow because I enjoyed it a lot more as a kid.

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

Well, Naomi just got Vienna Prelude for Christmas which I recommended a lot LAST year. Other than that I can't think of things people have read. And it's the greatest feeling when people mark books to-read that you're currently reading or want to-read :D

 5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?
UMMM LITTLE HOUSE ALL THE WAY!!! Except for the series ender... I actually didn't finish any series besides that one, so I'll go with the last book of the Caroline series, A Little House of Their Own. (Speaking of Caroline, I got the fifth Caroline book, Across the Rolling River, for Christmas!)

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?

Laura Hillenbrand, but she has only written two wonderful glorious non-fiction books, and I've read both, Unbroken and Seabiscuit. *sobs*

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

Violins of Autumn was historical fiction, but it was also modern YA, which is something I almost never read. However, I plan to branch out more this year with your Goodreads recommendations in hand!
 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Violins of Autumn was definitely action-packed, thrilling, and unputdownable, but Unbroken comes in a close second!

 9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Violins of Autumn and Unbroken again :D
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
Hattie Big Sky just so I can say something different than Violins of Autumn cuz that was a beauty!
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
REY from Star Wars!!! Guys, have you seen it!!! AHHHHH it's soooo good!

Also Caroline Ingalls and Celia Garth and Hattie I-Forgot-Her-Last-Name-That's-How-Memorable-She-Was Big Sky and Adele from Violins of Autumn (Hello, I'm obviously not talking about the singer! (See what I did there XD)(I actually haven't heard that song so disclaimer.))
I NOW OWN THIS!!!

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?

Gone with the Wind was just WOW. Also Willa Cather writes sooooo beautifully!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
Captains Courageous because it taught me about hard work and growing up and friendship!
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? 
Unbroken because my dad has literally recommended it to like everyone we know for the past two or three years.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?

From Little Town on the Prairie
This is what it means to be free. It means, you have to be good. "Our father's God, author of liberty--" The laws of Nature and of Nature's God endow you with a right to life and liberty. Then you have to keep the laws of God, for God's law is the only thing that gives you the right to be free.
Yessss, Laura, you have it!!!!

16. Shortest and Longest Book You Read In 2015?

Gone with the Wind - 1448 pages
The Importance of Being Earnest - 54 pages
 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Across the Puddingstone Dam cuz of people coming back!!!!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
Charles and Caroline Ingalls and Lew and Martha Tucker from the Laura series. Also Adele and Robby from Violins of Autumn and Charley and Hattie from Hattie Big Sky!!

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Harvey and Dan from Captains Courageous were soooooo cute! Also the Rey/Poe/Finn friendship in Star Wars right now is amazingly awesome!

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare and Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

21. Best Book You Read In 2015That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

Hattie Big Sky. Thanks Emma Jane!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Charlie and Lew from Little House series and Robby from Violins of Autumn!!!
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
Did I have one of these? I didn't. Well maybe I will this year!

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The prairie scenes in Willa Cather's books!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Any Jeeves and Wooster and the Railway Children by Edith Nesbit and the Penderwicks

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?


New Dawn on Rocky Ridge cuz death
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Captains Courageous because like nobody's heard of it!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Bachelor Girl! (PAULLLLLL!!!)


29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?

So You Want To Be a Jedi? because it was written almost completely in second person. Just no. Never. Nada. Zip. Stop. It had a nice cover tho...
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
On the Banks of the Bayou probably? Like seriously Rose what are you doing!!!

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?

Paper Fury! I don't read much YA but Cait's reviews and discussion posts are always entertaining and she has A+ usage of GIFs!
I salute you Cait!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?

Probably my wrap-up of the Little House books.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

Probably my answer post for my blogiversary! 

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

The LMM week with Eva was sooo much fun! I also did a readalong for Little Women with Hamlette so that was fun!

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?

Finishing the whole Little House series!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

So do you put GIFs and pics above or below the paragraphs they relate to?!? Cuz seriously!! Like if I put it above, nobody will know what I'm referencing, but if I put it below, it looks weird! (Or I could always do to the side...)

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My Random Questions post from Naomi :D

8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Again, the power of Goodreads! And Overdrive and Hoopla, my library's online reading services.

9.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yes! You can read about that HERE!

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?

Welllll, I have a lot of priorities in 2016, but North and South is a must!!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?

This cover is beeeyoutiful!!!
The Lord of the Rings series!
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I actually marked a 2016 debut as to-read yesterday! It's The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson, but I have no idea if it's any good. I have heard wonderful things about Morgan Matson though! And the next installment in Adi's World, written by a lady in our church comes out next year!
 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
Perhaps I'll finish the Zion Covenant series before I move!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
Wow, I plan to read the Lord of the Rings series and I have a blogging surprise coming later this week :D

3 comments:

  1. Star Wars was such fun wasn't it!?!?!?!?! I'm going to see it for the second time in a couple days and I'm so excited to see how I like it the second time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I offer you a flower for your Gone with the Wind remarks. Also, your Little House adventures looked SO FUN this year!

    I also want to read North & South in 2016!

    Happy New Year, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois: Star Wars was awesome!!!!!!!!aslfjk;alfj
    Jillian: Thank you :) I can't wait to compare notes on N&S!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D