Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Reading Goals

Yay! We're here! 2016 will be definitely hard, but very rewarding too. It will be a new start for both me, as I venture into college and LIFE, and my family, as we move. Also, I'll vote in my first election, get my first job, play at my first concert, graduate high school, and do so many other fun and terrifying things!

However, I'm here today to talk about my reading. If you read my challenges wrap-up, you realize that I'm not doing any reading challenges this year. BUT I loved how much easier it is to read when all your books are scheduled! So I made some categories and decided to read at least two (maybe) from each category each month! As of now, I've only planned January because life is gonna be crazy, and I don't want to have to do too much reworking. Here's the categories and some general book ideas I threw in for each one.



REREADS
Since 1) I'm a senior and 2) I'm moving in May, this will probably be my last chance to read through my favorite books in my school library! So I'm going to pick the ones I loved, and then skim the shelves to see what gems I have yet to read! I also want to read through some books that I loved last year. Here's my list as of right now. I know it will grow, especially after I check the bookshelves at school!
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit
Snow Treasure
In My Father's House
Violins of Autumn
Rilla of Ingleside
In Freedom's Cause (To get me back in the Henty feeling)
A Ballantyne book I haven't decided on yet :)
The Borrowers Afloat
Kidsboro (From Adventures in Odyssey)
The Princess Bride
An Old-Fashioned Girl (For the Classics Club)
The Secret Adversary
The Mysterious Benedict Society


CLASSICS
I also want to read a few classics that I didn't get to last year and that are on my Classics Club list! This list will probably not be totally completed because a lot of classics are HUGE!
Ben-Hur (Third time's the charm!)
The Story Girl
Emily of New Moon
North and South
The Pickwick Papers
So Big!
Rebecca
Watership Down
Jurassic Park (Is this a classic? Idc)
Till We Have Faces
The Man in the Iron Mask
Sense and Sensibility
Mill on the Floss (I don't see this one getting done actually)
The Mysterious Island



SUMMER SERIES
For the past four years, I have read a series every summer. Since I will be busy this summer and the books are long, I decided to read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I own and have beautiful covers!
The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King

IT'S CHRIIIIIISTIAAAAAAAN!!!

CONTEMPORARY/CHRISTIAN FICTION
I'm beginning to branch out in my reading taste, and there are so many contemporary and Christian fiction books that look pretty good! And then there's those books that don't really fit in any category, but have been written pretty recently...
Since You've Been Gone
Cinder (I don't know if this is for me, but I've heard wonderful things about it!)
Stargirl (For you Elizabeth D.)
A Proper Pursuit (Cuz I got it for Christmas!)
The Sweetest Thing
The Covered Deep (For you Natalie cuz I got it in the giveaway)
The Penderwicks in Spring
Hattie Ever After
Where Eagles Dare
Nick of Time

NONFICTION
And what reading list would be complete without nonfiction, even though said nonfiction list is lacking quite a lot....
Fierce Convictions (About Hannah More, a author, humanitarian, and Christian from 18th Century Britain)
God's Smuggler
The Monuments Men
Tramp for the Lord
Unbroken (Reread cuz I have my own copy :)
Pioneer Girl
America's First Daughter (About Patsy Jefferson)
Devil at My Heels (Louis Zamperini memoir)
How to Think Like Sherlock (cuz duh!)
A Chance to Die (I love Amy Carmichael, but there's not many books about her!)

Well, that's my list! I also have a few others planned, and it will definitely grow. But that's a start! Do you plan your reading? Do you have any recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. I don't plan my reading, per se, but I do try to do one kind of challenge a year. In 2015, I tried to read 6 books about Robin Hood (I read 3 all the way and tried 2 more that I didn't finish because I didn't like them, so almost a win!). In 2014, I tried out some online challenges and did okay on them but wasn't thrilled because I lacked a theme. In 2013, I read all of the Sherlock Holmes canon, and in 2012, I read all of Jane Austen's novels. This year, I'm planning to read all the Anne of Green Gables books!

    You have some great books on your lists. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this reading list! I have a semi-organized 2016 reading list for 2016, but I know it won't happen unless I get my weekdays organized by the hour. Some people probably do this automatically, but it's so hard for me for some reason! I did this last year for a week or two and it was the most productive and less stressful time in a LONG time...aaaand I'm rambling. :))

    Let's see, of the ones I can remember, I'm wanting to read:
    Close to You by Kara Isaac--the characters go on a Tolkein tour of New Zealand!!!
    Northanger Abbey--because a sweet writer friend gifted me a beautiful fully diagrammed copy and I'm trying to figure out who the mystery signature-ee "Jack" is who loved this book so well!
    The Emotion Thesaurus for writers
    The Cinderella Rule devotional
    Returning to Your First Love devotional
    A Beauty So Rare
    A Noble Masquerade
    Against the Tide
    Saving Eric
    All for Anna
    Wives and Daughters--I don't know if I'll ever get this one done, since I've already seen the movie, but I loved it and I have an exquisite pink Barnes & Noble copy, so it might get read after all. I'm on a pink kick this year so far.

    Hope your 2016 is blessed and that you get to spend more time reading than you thought you could!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamlette: I love your themed years! I really enjoyed that last year.

    Natalie: I love organizing my time, but it's ridiculously hard to be consistent. Northanger Abbey is one of my favorites! I loved the Wives and Daughters movie. Molly and Roger were so cute! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful list! YAY!!! I think you'll love Stargirl, it's such a sweet book. (-: And God's Smuggler is amazing. Good luck at college and with your reading goals!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D