Saturday, February 27, 2016

Learning to Be Cultured: Charade

So, this is the first time I haven't posted a blog post every week. I was so excited to go to a big concert yesterday that I didn't feel like writing and then I got home at 11 and still didn't feel like writing so here I am today :)


Ekaterina and Elizabeth Anne (otherwise known as my southwest buddies or EandE) are starting a new blog series called Learning to Be Cultured. It's basically going to go through different areas of culture and encourage fellow bloggers to blog about and educate themselves on those areas. This month's topic is movies!! I looked through the provided list and found CHARADE starring Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant!!! I was so excited because I've already watched this movie and LOVED it! So here goes :D

(Also, I can't be the only one who mixes up Aubrey and Audrey, right?)


Charade is one of those movies where it's best to go in completely without prior knowledge so please go watch this first!!! (It's on Netflix in USA) I'll wait. Although I'll promise to be as careful as possible, I may throw in some minor spoilers!


Charade is definitely a very creepy, whodunit kind of movie. In fact, I've heard it called the "best Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never made"! It follows Regina Lampert and her quest to find 1) who killed her husband, 2) who was her husband, and 3) where is her husband's money? Throw in some ex-soldiers and a strange man who isn't who he seems and there you have it! (I feel like I've already used that exact phrase last week :D )
Cary Grant's Awkward Orange scene is pure gold!
Also, I've seen youth pastors play this game #awkies
Cary Grant is the star of this movie for me. He's older in this movie than in the other ones I've seen him in. And I think this is the only color movie I've see him in! As usual, his acting is impeccable, and he's hilarious!! It's so great because you don't know what side he's really on until the very, very end!

Audrey Hepburn is her wonderful, enchanting, mysterious self. Her character, Regina Lampert, annoyed me a bit though. She seemed to alternate between hysteria and practicality at an alarming rate. And what did she see in Peter Joshua?! He basically lies the whole movie!!!! And why would you marry a husband whom you knew so little about?!


I love the creepy elements of this movie such as the opening scene with a gun pointed at Regina's head. And the final chase scene is so deliciously scary and keeps you on the edge of your seat! Although I do have to say, a certain fight scene on a roof goes on wayyyyyyy too long... *yawn*



Oh and James Coburn is in this movie!!!! I've seen him in The Magnificent Seven where he throws knives and in The Great Escape where he's an Australian who learns how to say "I love you" in Russian...


Speaking of James Coburn, the bad guys in this movie are sooooo creepy!! *shudders*

As usual, Audrey Hepburn's wardrobe is "straight fiyaaaaa" to borrow a phrase from the kids.... (No, I have totally never used that in a conversation. Why would you think that?) I especially like her yellow dress, and her cream dress! (Her white hat makes her look Russian and that yellow coat looks like mustard depending on the lighting)


Can we just appreciate Mancini's music for a sec? Mancini, who wrote the theme Charade, also wrote the Pink Panther, which is sort of a scary-feeling song. I love the motif that's repeated at all the key tension points! It has words too! Although they're kind of hard to understand. I love Mancini's stuff sooo much! (He also plays or conducts an arrangement of As Time Goes By that sounds smooth and jazzy!)


Some of the cinematography is like "Say wha?", but overall, it's very clever and well done for an old movie. Especially the title sequence. You will never be so enthralled by opening credits! (Except for maybe the old Parent Trap with Hayley Mills) And the editing really adds tension to that last chase!


Overall, I love this movie! I mean for Pete's sake, it has Cary Grant, and I basically love all of his movies! It also passes the rewatchability test that I totally didn't just make up... I watched this sometime last year and basically forgot all the important plot points, making this viewing quite enjoyable! (I guess it only passes if you have a weird, selective memory like me)

P.S. Jean Louis needs a spanking.


10 comments:

  1. Omg, this is fabulous! I love Charade! Such a great choice of film. Thank you for joining in the linkup, I'll be sure to add the link to your blog in my review. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this movie once, and I remember it being so funny! :-)

    The bad guys in this movie are extremely creepy. Oh my word! I wasn't expecting James Coburn to be a bad guy because I have also seen him in The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape.

    You're right. Jean Louis does need a spanking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time Cary Grant is on screen, it's going to be funny! And the bad guys are so stinking convincing! #SpankJeanLouis2k16

      Delete
  3. Just watched this movie last night (one of my numerous re-watches) and it's confirmed as one of my favorite movies of all time. Audrey Hepburn is superb and James Coburn is my favorite actor (and I don't mind seeing him in bad guy roles - he's quite delicious as a villain) so it's all AWESOME.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Ooohh James Coburn is your favorite. He's really cool. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Ah yes! Charade is one of my favorite movies of all time! In fact, that's what I chose to watch on my birthday this last year. I just can't get enough of it! Cary Grant is just my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charade sounds like great birthday watch! Cary Grant is soooo great!

      Delete
  5. I love this movie <3 I'm actually working on a post about the soundtrack right now! Just completely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your soundtrack post! I love the music of this film!

      Delete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D