Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pianist Spotlight: Kim Collingsworth

Oh Kim Collingsworth! The Queen of the Keys as some call her! Kim is a HUGE role model of mine. She's one of the few active female SG pianists out there doing what I want to do. Her music always, always touches me in some way, whether it's big or fun or quiet. I would love the Collingsworth Family even if it were just singing, but Kim's playing adds a whole new dimension!


Here's Goodbye World Goodbye, that song that literally everybody plays. I mean everybody! But it's a good song, so I'm not complaining! And the orchestration, as on all Kim Collingsworth pieces is AMAZING! And what do you know, it's a variation on the basic formula: verse, chorus, fancier verse, improv chorus! (That was sarcastic, but it's still a fun arrangement!)


This is my favorite Kim Collingsworth arrangement! (CFam always has these really cool coordinating stage clothes) I really want to arrange this for myself someday soon! I love the jazzy sound and how it keeps going and going but you never want it to stop! I could literally listen to this song ALL DAY LONG! And those chromatic scales! #GOALS


Whenever Kim plays, you can see that she's really sincere about what she does. She plays from the heart. I really want to learn this arrangement! Part of it's in B though!!! Why would you write a song for yourself in B?! Oh well, I love the chromatic third scales she does for the key changes. I'm teaching myself those right now, and I recognized them :D


Here's a BIG song that Kim is known for. I watched this one "live" through Periscope, and it was UHMAZING! I tend to like less orchestration, but the piano still gets the spotlight most of the time, and I enjoy how big it sounds!


Finally, here's a quiet song. It's one of my dad's favorites! (I should probably arrange that too...) I like that while Kim can bang with the best of them, she's not afraid to play quietly on stage. I personally struggle with that. I also like that she never plays the song the same way. There's always a little variation in a melody or rhythm that I appreciate, because I struggle to play the song the same way every time. 

I love Kim Collingsworth as a person, pianist, and singer. She can do anything with the best of them! As a final treat, here she is on the song When He Carries Me Away. It's a powerful song highlighting her powerful voice! I can't wait to meet her next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D