Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: My Newest Favorite


Consider this an early Star Wars Day post cuz I totally just realized that that was NEXT week!!! (May the Fourth be With You)

2016 just seems to be the year for figuring out favorites! Now, while I have a lot of very good movies I love, Star Wars: The Force Awakens has just taken the cake, y'all. It's just soooooo good! I've been planning to review this since December or January after I saw it, but I never got around to it. I've now seen Star Wars: The Force Awakens, AKA Ep. VII, four times. Three in a theater, and one in a car after receiving it for my birthday!!!! I also just got the digital copy and am downloading it for a long car ride I have ahead of me today. (JK I have 1.6 gigs free but apparently that's not enough...)

Oh, and this post is also an excuse to use my favorite Ep. VII GIFs. You have been warned!


I don't think I'm ever going to be satisfied with this review because this movie is just too epic and too big to properly review. In fact, forget the review. It's been out for so long, if you're still reading this, you've probably read like 50 reviews. I'm just going to write my thoughts on specific aspects. Also, I know that a lot of you aren't really into Star Wars so feel free to skim or skip or do whatever. Here's a plot summary if you're interested:

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a girl (named Rey) accidentally runs into rogue stormtrooper (bad guy turned good) and tries to find Luke Skywalker (major character from original trilogy who's missing) while saving the galaxy. Basically.

(Oh, and Ep. 4, 5, and 6 were made first, then 1, 2, and 3, and finally 7. I know it's confusing but just roll with it.)

Okay, now that that's out of the way, here we go:

Not Ep. VII FYI
1) This is my favorite Star Wars but not the best one. Woah, woah, woah how can you say that, Ashley? I don't know, guys. It's just a gut feeling. I know you can get better than the original, but this just feels too soon to declare as the best movie of the series. It kind of feels like betraying the originals. And I know older isn't always better, but I'm just not sure yet! I'll probably come back here in like five years and laugh at myself for my "loyalty" but that's how I feel now. I do enjoy this movie more than the originals, even though I still enjoy those a lot.

I'm never tired of this GIF either
2) I'm not tired of this movie yet. There are very few movies I can watch over and over and over. The Happiest Millionaire, the One and Only, Genuine... Band, and I don't know The Book Thief (probably) are some exceptions. The Force Awakens just keeps sucking me back in!!! Sure, there's always a little part where I'm a teensy bit bored but then it sucks me right back in and I really want to watch it again just writing about it!



3) These actors are geniuses. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and Oscar Isaacs are cinnamon rolls, too good for this world, too pure (That's a thing the kids say.) But everyone puts in a smashing performance! I know that people get on Leia for being a little stilted, but I still think she's pretty good! And then Harrison Ford ermaghersh!!!


4) The characters are so well-written. Rey is just a cute flower and needs protecting and then Finn is just great and all of them!!! Even Kylo Ren is awesome, even if he is a villain. He just has so many layers!!!!

BEST BB8 "LINE"
5) Speaking of characters, BB8 is the cutest robot ever and I like seriously need the Sphero version of him!!!!! He's like a robot puppy!!


6)The CONFRONTATION. Okay, every time I watch, I have a small hope that this time it will turn out differently even though I know it won't. It's just like pleasssseeeeee J. J. pleaaaaaasssseeeee!!!


7) Daisy Ridley and John Boyega seem to be great people in general. I follow both of them on Instagram, and they seem to be sincere and funny and just amazing. I now have a favorite modern actress!!! (Idk if John Boyega's my favorite cuz I like Christian Kane in Leverage and a few others)

LOOK AT THEM!!!
8) The fan theories. The first three times we watched this movie, all my siblings, dad, and I could talk about were Rey's parents, Rey's dream, Luke's lightsaber, Ren's training, Snoke, and so many other things much to the chagrin of my mother. But it's just so fun!!! Personally, I don't really care who Rey's parents are. I mean, it would be cool if it was Luke or Leia or even Obi-Wan's kid, but I'm sure whoever it is will make sense and just add so much to the story.


9) Rey and Finn are so cuttteeeee. And then you throw in Oscar Isaacs for a good ol' fashioned Three Musketeers and you've got so much potential. Just imagine them all hanging out together!!! (I mean, that's purely theoretical since Finn is kind of in a difficult spot right now)


10) Umm the humor in this was amazing. To me, it felt forced one or two times, but overall it was a great addition. And a lot of it wasn't even spoken!!!!

Well there's 10 thoughts about The Force Awakens. I just love the characters, the plot, and just the MOVIE!!!! Well done J. J. Abrams. I really, really wish you were directing the rest of this trilogy!!!




6 comments:

  1. I kind of agree with you in that it's not the best but it's just so enjoyable to watch. I wouldn't say it's my favorite though. I still like four and five better but the seventh is better than the sixth for me an obviously better than one, two and three. Reading your review makes me want to rewatch it so badly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me want to watch this all over again :-D I liked it a ton too!

    ReplyDelete

Many comments. Such wow. Much happiness. Very awesomeness. I know that's not entirely correct grammar, but that's how comments make me feel! Feel free to leave one expressing anything from what color shoes you're wearing to how much you disagree with my opinion :D