|Panorama of downtown|
Here we go:
1. First off, it's hot BUT IT'S NOT 117 BLIMEY DEGREES HOT SO CHILL. Sorry, but here's a conversation either I have or overhear once a week:
Person: Oh you're from Phoenix? It's really hot there!
Person: But I mean it's hot here too! And we have humidity!
Perham member: *smiles and nods because we have given up explaining to people what I'm about to explain to you*
OKAY it's hot. And it's humid. Which is sometimes miserable. BUT you won't literally die if you go for a run outside!!! I'm pretty sure doing a run between 6:30 AM and 2:30 AM (you read that right) in Phoenix would put you in literal health danger, but although it's humid and you basically take a shower when you run, YOU DON'T DIE. Also, I've heard that in September it cools off! WHAT A CONCEPT!!!! XD
|First day we were here|
NOT MY HOUSE
3. Humidity stinks. I know I just got done with that whole rant thing, but humidity is dumb. I try to remember if my hair wasn't frizzy in Phoenix but I don't know.
4. THERE IS GREEN GRASS EVERYWHERE AND ITS AUGUST Nuf said
5. I also have COLD water from my sink. All my Phoenix peeps just take that in for a sec...
6. I've been to so many awesome southern gospel concerts here! Just ahhhh! Last week was the first week I hadn't seen a concert in over a month! It's so cool to be in the center of gospel music guys!
|Old Hickory Lake Beach|
8. Ummm people have natural bodies of water in their back yard. (NOT CANALS) I mean even we have a kinda creek that FILLS UP when it rains what?!
9. It rains like every other day, but it still hasn't lost its charm! It's actually about to rain right now! Sometimes it rains really hard but other times you can go on with your day without even knowing it's raining! In Phoenix, you immediately know it's raining cuz it sounds like it's gonna murder you and everybody's freaking out XD
10. We had a tornado warning yesterday. Long story, there was no tornado but the sirens went off! It's so weird that there are sirens somewhere close loud enough that the whole neighborhood can hear!!!! I hope I never hear them when it's really storming!
11. I haven't had a Polar Pop from Circle K in 2 months and that's the saddest thing about my life right now. Well-meaning friends try to recommend Sonic slushies or Icees BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME :(
But back to the 10/4 rule. While there are more places within 10 minutes in Phoenix, there are more places within 4 hours here. I can get to Birmingham, Atlanta, Knoxville, Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis, Memphis, Indianapolis, and so many more big cities in around 4 hours!! I heard that 72 of America's most visited cities are a day's drive from Tennesse!! It's amazing! Howevs (like whatevs) if you travel 4 hours from Phoenix, you're either in the mountains, Las Vegas, or in the middle of nowhere in the desert XD
13. There's a lot more plant life here (no duh), but because there's so much of it, it's not as interesting I guess? Don't get me wrong! There are beautiful flowers and trees and my backyard is green rn what! But it's not as memorable as seeing a palo verde tree or cactus or palm tree or orange tree in the middle of the desert.
|INSIDE at the Opryland Hotel. |
Nashville doesn't actually look like this XD
14. Umm I see robins everyday. This sounds really stupid, but hang with me. Growing up, I read so many books that talked about robins and robins eggs, but I NEVER SAW ONE. So I have a mini (internal) freakout whenever I see one now. I guess I just thought they were mythical creatures for the first 18 years of my life XD
15. I'm having a bit of big city to small town culture shock. Don't get me wrong. Nashville is big and soooo beautiful, but you don't really see the city or feel like you're in it until you're there. Although I was about the same distance away from the actual city of Phoenix as I am from Nashville, I still felt like I lived in the city.
|The capital building|
|The "Batman" building|
So how about you? Have you ever made a drastic move? How have you coped with "homesickness" and such? Are you a small town or big city person?